JOHANNESBURG, South Africa; 22 October, 2016
After weeks of excitement and anticipation, Africa’s music fans have spoken at the sixth edition of Africa’s premiere annual music showcase, the MTV Africa Music Awards Johannesburg 2016. Unfolding at the TicketPro Dome in Northgate, Johannesburg, South Africa on 22 October 2016, the exhilarating celebration of African music and achievement made its Jo’burg debut with an electrifying display of live performances and incredible state-of-the-art staging and lighting.
Nigerian pop sensation WizKid scooped three awards with wins in the prestigious Best Male and Artist of the Year categories, and scoring one extra trophy for his featured performance on Best Collaboration. South African stars Cassper Nyovest and Emtee won for Best Live and Best Hip Hop respectively, with Shekhinah and Kyle Deutsch scoring gold in Best Pop/Alternative.
Other deserving winners at the show included Nigerian artist Yemi Alade who walked away with the Best Female trophy. Kenyan Afro-pop band, Sauti Sol lifted the Best Group award, while Patoranking won the Song of the Year category sponsored by Google for his chart-topping hit, “My Woman, My Everything”.
The excitement in the crowd was palpable as world-renowned South African jazz legend and Grammy award winner, Hugh Masekela, took to the stage to accept the Legend Award, for his indelible contribution to the music industry. The Africa Reimagined award, a category honouring individuals reshaping the narrative around Africa, was awarded to youth activists, Vivian Onano and Mary Taedzerwa, for their pro-social activism on the continent.
Hosted by South African media darling Bonang Matheba supported by Nomzamo Mbatha and Yemi Alade, the live telecast on MTV Base and MTV featured awards in 18 categories, presented by famous faces from around the continent, including Minnie Dlamini, Jackie Appiah, Weza, Navy Kenzo, R2Bees, Juliet Ibrahim, Sheeba, Somizi and Sizwe Dhlomo.
Thrilling collaborations from Africa’s foremost artists were the highlight of the show, including Kwesta and Stonebwoy, who performed a high-powered remix of Kwesta’s hit song “Ngud”. Big winner Wizkid thrilled the crowd with rousing support from the world famous Soweto Gospel Choir. The most touching moment of the night was a show-stopping tribute to late “Nkalakatha” of Kwaito, Mandoza, by legends Mdu, Trompies and DJ Cleo.
US Hip Hop star and nominee Future lit up the stage with hits “Wicked”, “Lowlife” and “Commas”, while the trophy for Best International went to Drake.
Commenting after the show, Alex Okosi, Senior Vice President & Managing Director, Viacom International Media Networks (VIMN) Africa, said: “Tonight #MTVMAMA2016 brought the continent together, showcasing the amazing creativity and talent that Africa has to offer. This is a night for Africa to be proud of, and we are thrilled that the MAMA has once again delivered a powerful platform to celebrate African achievement.”
2016 MTV Africa Music Awards Winners:
– Artist of the Year: Wizkid (Nigeria)
– Best Female: Yemi Alade (Nigeria)
– Best Male: Wizkid (Nigeria)
– Best Group: Sauti Sol (Kenya)
– Best Breakthrough Act: Tekno (Nigeria)
– Best Live Act: Cassper Nyovest (South Africa)
– Best Hip Hop in association with MTN: Emtee (South Africa)
– Song of the Year in partnership with Google: “My Woman, My Everything” Patoranking feat. Wande Coal (Nigeria)
– Listener’s Choice: Jah Prayzah (Zimbabwe)
– Video of the Year: “Niquer Ma Vie” – Youssoupha (Congo) – Director: Antony Abdelli & Jose Eon
– Best Pop & Alternative: Shekhinah & Kyle Deutsch (South Africa)
– Best Francophone: Serge Beynaud (Ivory Coast)
– Best Lusophone: C4 Pedro (Angola)
– Personality of the Year in association with DSTV: Caster Semenya (South Africa)
– Legend Award: Hugh Masekela
– Best Collaboration in partnership with ABSOLUT: DJ Maphorisa feat. Wizkid & DJ Buckz – “Soweto Baby” (South Africa/Nigeria)
– Africa Reimagined: Vivian Onano and Mary Taedzerwa
– Best International: Drake (USA)
See all the photos: