Recently, global software company, SAP introduced its cloud service – a 21st century collaborative architectural solution for business transactions to Nigerian organisations. Although the German multinational which was started in 1972 works with key companies in Nigeria, it remains largely unfamiliar to a fraction of the Nigerian business market.
- SAP means ‘Systems, Applications and Products’ culled from the company’s original name ‘Systeme, Anwendungen, Produkte’ which is German. SAP was originally purposed to provide customers with the ability to interact with a common corporate database for a comprehensive range of applications in real time.
- The company which was founded in 1972 by five former employees of American technology giant, IBM currently has over 335,000 business and public sector customers in 190 countries.
- SAP was ranked the third largest software company after Microsoft and Oracle on Forbes Magazine’s 2016 list of The World’s Biggest Public Companies. In 2017, SAP was ranked No 27 on Forbes’ World’s Most Valuable Brands.
- SAP is the fastest growing enterprise cloud company at scale, with more than 110 million users trading more than $820 million.
- Recently, SAP began to tilt towards small and medium scale businesses, a deviation from its initial focus on large organisations. Now, 90% of SAP’s transactions are with small scale businesses.
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud is the company’s intelligent, Next Generation cloud ERP that takes enterprises into the digital age and it was launched in 2015. The SAP S/4HANA is the upgrade of the company’s SAP HANA, its in-memory database platform.
- SAP’s cloud offerings provides companies with the global expertise and local knowledge needed to free up internal resources and shift focus away from IT management to innovation, the driving force of all successful businesses in today’s digital economy.
- SAP can boast of 125 million cloud subscribers and 44 state-of-the-art data centres in 27 locations across the world, including Nigeria.
- Because there is also an urgent need for businesses to modernise their technology infrastructure, SAP empowers people and organizations to work together more efficiently and use business insight more effectively to stay ahead of the competition.